Monday, March 8, 2010

I write this in the aftermath of Canadian fashion model Coco Rocha being described as too fat for the runaway, at a mere size four. I wonder what are we teaching our young girls, or our adults for that matter, which is why I decided to write about jean shopping with Marley.

I will tell you Marley LOVES herself, sees herself as perfect, we often joke that no one loves her more than herself! I adore that about her. If there is a mirror she is admiring herself.

Four summers ago, it was decided that my daughters and I would make a weekend out of back to school shopping, we booked a hotel and off we went, shopping for new school clothes, something I used to love when I was younger. We were having a great time, girls only, no Dad allowed. Marley who was 7 at the time, had a few new shirts, a spectacular pink and blue plaid blazer and some new shoes. It was time to try and find some jeans, her favourite thing to wear. She like her father, is abit on the petite side, short if you will, but her waist is normal size for her age. Old Navy, Gap, the Children's Place, came and went and nothing. Sensing her defeat, it was decided that we would it a day, got back to the hotel for a swim, we did have tomoorow to find something. So through Sears to the parking lot we ventured. Just as we approached the exit, I noticed a rack of girls jeans. Marley searched and found a few pairs she wanted to try on. The only change room we could find was the ladies, and as I had a stroller with Kendal in it, we waited at the enterance to the change room, and off Marley went. After each pair she tried on, out she came to model them, and dicuss if we had found a winner or not. Pair one, YES!! Pair to, not so much, pair three, we were checking the waist, so she lifted her shirt to her belly button.
Just then a lady walked out and exclaimed with disgust, well she needs to go on a diet, doesn't she and walked away. I was shocked, I wish I had processed that a bit sooner, before I realized exactly what she had said, she was gone. My daughter got upset, cause that lady thinks I am fat, she proclaimed. SO I ask, if we as individuals can not get it right, why should we expect the fashion industry too??

I could go off and defend the way I raise my kids, their food consumption and what have you, but this is not the focus here. There i have said my piece and I feel better already!

No comments:

Post a Comment